GREUBEL FORSEY HAND MADE 1 - JULY 2020 NEWS
The Greubel Forsey Hand Made 1 tourbillon is a 43.5mm white gold embodiment of over 6,000 hours of manual labour by Greubel Forsey watchmakers and craft artisans
In this unique endeavour of Greubel Forsey’s handmade craftsmanship, each component tells a tale. It has its own development process and journey that makes it unique, undergoing long hours of cutting from the raw material guided only by the eye and the human hand. The technical and aesthetic perfection of this Hand Made 1 timepiece is immediately visible and in true Greubel Forsey style, it attributes equal importance to the invisible beauty of all the parts concealed inside the case.
The journey begins with the regulating organ, entirely produced by hand in Greubel Forsey's workshops, including the balance spring, fashioned from an alloy in the Atelier. The balance spring is then rolled in a hand operated rolling mill (without computer assistance), a process that is certainly an endangered know how – only a few balance springs can be made at a time – whereas in contemporary industrial production, hundreds or thousands are automatically produced at once.
All the movement's components are of course then hand finished true to the finest watchmaking tradition, including the bridges with their polished inner and outer vertical flanks, the unique “Gratté” mainplate, and the wheels with hand polished bevels top and bottom (40 sharp internal angles for a five-spoke wheel). The open dial stands out with its hand-enamelled chapter rings, paired with elegant, finely shaped flame-blued steel hands.
Naturally, the 18k white gold case is also, handmade, thanks to a pantograph mechanical lathe fitted with turning tools, before being patiently satin-finished on the sides and polished on the upper surfaces. Created as just two or three timepieces per year, the Greubel Forsey Hand Made 1 is destined to become a new watchmaking landmark that unites both past and future. This new step towards the summit in the finest of craftsmanship is substantiated on the dial at 6 o'clock, where the inscription HAND MADE replaces the usual SWISS MADE.
J Farren-Price is proud to have acquired and sold the first Handmade 1 in the world, with two more in the making. Who will be next in line to own one of world's greatest horological masterpieces?
Enquire about this very special watch here or call us on 02 9231 3299. Discover our current Greubel Forsey collection below.
GREUBEL FORSEY BALANCIER CONTEMPORAIN WITH DIAMONDS
- MATERIALS: 18ct white gold case, crown and bezel set with diamonds
- DIAL: Multi-level in gold and mother-of-pearl with a visual opening for the balance wheel, polished bevel. Small seconds in gold and mother-of-pearl, polished bevel. Power-reserve in gold, engraved and black lacquered, hand matt lapped
- FUNCTIONS: Hours and minutes • Small seconds • 72-hours power reserve on a sector
- POWER SOURCE: Manual winding with 72-hours power reserve on a sector
- DIAMETER: 41.6MM
GREUBEL FORSEY HAND MADE 1
- Materials: 18ct white gold case, crown and bezel. All handmade, thanks to a pantograph mechanical lathe fitted with turning tools, before being patiently satin-finished on the sides and polished on the upper surfaces. Hand sewn calf leather strap
- Dial: The open dial stands out with its hand-enamelled chapter rings, paired with elegant, finely shaped flame-blued steel hands
- Functions: Hours, minutes, seconds indications and 60 seconds tourbillon. Water resistant to 30m.
- Power Source: Manual winding with 60 hours power reserve. DIAMETER: 43.5MM
GREUBEL FORSEY TOURBILLON 24 SECONDS CONTEMPORAIN IN ROSE GOLD
- Materials: In 18k 5N red gold with convex synthetic sapphire crystal. Transparent back with asymmetrical convex synthetic sapphire crystal. Titanium main plates, frosted and spotted, with polished bevelling, royal blue treatment. Hand-sewn alligator strap. 18k 5N red gold or platinum 950 folding clasp, hand-engraved with the GF logo. Hands: Hours and minutes in polished gold, with Super-LumiNova. Small seconds (red triangle). Power-reserve in polished gold. 24-seconds double-tipped hand, black anodised aluminium
- Dial: Multi-level synthetic sapphire hour-ring, galvanic growth hour indexes with Super-LumiNova, engraved and lacquered minute-circle. Gold “12” index with Super-LumiNova. Tourbillon rotation, small seconds and power-reserve indicators in gold.
- Functions: Hours and minutes. Small seconds. 72-hours power reserve on a sector 24-seconds tourbillon rotation. Tourbillon: Inclined at a 25° angle, 24-seconds rotation. Light alloy cage pillars.
- Power Source: Manual winding with 72 hours power reserve.
- Diameter: 44.5mm