CHOPARD 1000 MIGLIA RACE OFFICIAL TIMEKEEPER - JULY 2022 NEWS
Last month the European sun shone brightly at the 40th edition of what has become known as the world's most beautiful car race: 1000 Miglia.
From the 15th to the 18th of June 2022, watch and jewellery brand Chopard proudly took its place as world sponsor and official timekeeper of the 40th edition 1000 Miglia car race. Founded in 1927, it is one of the most famous motoring events in the world. This year an incredible total of 404 cars, by 63 different manufacturers, competed against one another in this illustrious and exhilarating race.
The Winners of the 1000 Miglia Race 2022
After travelling a 1,609 kilometre route between Brescia and Rome, the 2022 race was won by Andrea Vesco and Fabio Salvinelli aboard the Alfa Romeo 6C 1750 SS Zagato of 1929. This was an exciting repeat of their prior success in 2021!
The intense, challenging 1000 Miglia 2022 required great skill from the crews on 115 Time Trials and 8 Average Trials, with the Capodimonte dirt road trials on the shores of Lake Bolsena proving particularly popular. Despite the massive expansion of Italy’s road network over the past 95 years, the route of the 1000 Miglia has remained remarkably close to that of the original course from Brescia to Rome and back.
A Family Affair
Not only has Chopard been the proud world sponsor and official timekeeper to the celebrated 1000 Miglia since 1988, this year, for the 34th time, the Maison’s Co-President Karl-Friedrich Scheufele joined the 404-strong field of cars behind the wheel of the Scheufele family’s 1955 Mercedes Benz 300 SL, well-known to the 1000 Miglia due to its strawberry-red paintwork.
On 15 June, Chopard Ambassador Jacky Ickx was on the start ramp in Brescia to wave Chopard’s Co-President away as he set off beside his daughter Caroline-Marie, who undertook her second 1000 Miglia after making her debut as co-driver in 2019.
Along with Karl-Friedrich and Caroline-Marie Scheufele, Team Chopard was composed of several prestigious cars, amongst them a wonderful blue Porsche 356 Speedster from 1955 – driven by Chopard Ambassador Romain Dumas, a regular at the 1000 Miglia – as well as a Triumph TR3 Sports from 1957, a Fiat 1100/103 TV Berlina from 1955 and an Austin Healey 100/6 from 1957.
The New Chopard Mille Miglia Race Edition Timepiece 2022
The 1000 Miglia celebrated its 40th reissue and Chopard, its partner and official timekeeper, was once again on the starting grid. As is the case every year since 1988, during an exclusive dinner held at the Albereta Hotel the day before the race, Karl-Friedrich Scheufele, along with Jacky Ickx, unveiled a duo of stunning watches to commemorate the event in the form of the Mille Miglia 2022 Race Editions.
Featuring a 44 mm case in ethical 18-carat rose gold and stainless steel or all-steel versions, this chronometer-certified chronograph picks up all the codes that Chopard instils into the identity of this sporting collection: masculine elegance, mechanical precision, watchmaking performance, racing ergonomics – all dedicated to the beauty of driving.
As Australia's longest standing Chopard dealer, we are thrilled to hear about the journey and the successes of this year's 1000 Miglia race. Please contact us here if you are interested in the new Chopard Mille Miglia 2022 Race Edition, available to order. Our current Chopard collection also includes a range of Mille Miglia watches, previously known as 'Classic Racing' - all designed to celebrate a true passion for motorsport.
CHOPARD CLASSIC RACING SUPERFAST 41MM
- Materials: 18ct rose gold case. Glass is scratch-resistant sapphire crystal. Sapphire crystal case back. Black rubber strap with 18ct rose gold buckle.
- Dial: Black dial with wide, linear pattern - alternating between jet black and grey. Arabic '12' numeral with index hour and minute markers. Date window at 6 o'clock marker. Large red central seconds hand. Rose gold rimmed hour and minutes hands with luminous fill.
- Functions: Water-resistant up to 100 metres. Hours, minutes, seconds and date. Chronometer certificate (COSC).
- Power Source: 12 3/4", Chopard 01.01-M automatic movement. Power reserve of approximately 60 hours, 31 jewels.
- Diameter: 41.00mm.
CHOPARD CLASSIC RACING SUPERFAST CHRONOGRAPH
- Materials: Polished stainless steel case. Black rubber strap. Dial: Dial with deep wide linear engraved pattern, Higher level is jet black and lower level in a more grey/black contrasting toned color
- Functions: Large central seconds counter. 30 minute counter sub-dial located at the 9 o'clock position. 12 hour counter sub-dial located at the 6 o'clock position
- Power Source: Automatic self-winding with 42 hours power reserve
- Diameter: 45mm
CHOPARD GTS MILLE MIGLIA GRAN TURISMO XL CHRONO
- Materials: Stainless steel case. Glass is glareproofed scratch-resistant sapphire crystal. Sapphire crystal back. Stainless steel bracelet with steel folding clasp.
- Dial: Black dial with 3 black counters. Luminescent hands. Mixed indexes, including Arabic numerals. Tachymeter from 240 to 55 km/h engraved on bezel.
- Functions: Water-resistent to 100 metres. Hours, minutes, seconds and date. Chronograph. Tachymeter engraved on the fixed bezel. Chronometer certified (COSC).
- Power Source: 16 1/2" self-winding mechanical movement chronograph with a power reserve of approximately 46 hours. 25 jewels.
- Diameter: 44.00mm.
CHOPARD MILLE MIGLIA CHRONOGRAPH
- Materials: Stainless steel case. Glass is glareproofed sapphire crystal. Sapphire crystal back. Silver stainless steel bracelet with deployment buckle.
- Dial: Silver dial. Luminescent silver-tone hands and hour markers. Date feature. Arabic numerals and minute markers. Tachymeter on outer rim.
- Functions: Water-resistant up to 50 metres. Chronograph, date, hour, minutes, seconds and tachymeter. Subdials for 60 seconds, 30 minutes and 12 hours. Certified chronometer (COSC).
- Power Source: 12 1/2", automatic, chronograph movement with approximately 42 hours of power reserve. 37 jewels, 28,800 vibrations per hour.
- Diameter: 42.00mm.
CHOPARD MILLE MIGLIA LIMITED EDITION 42MM
- Materials: Stainless steel case. Glass is glareproofed scratch-resistant sapphire crystal. Sapphire crystal back with engraving 'Chopard & Mille Miglia 30 Anni Di Passione'. Black calfskin leather band with red stitching and tang buckle.
- Dial: Grey anthracite dial with Arabic numerals. Luminous hour and minute sword-shaped hands. Silver subdials. Date display between 4 and 5 o'clock.
- Functions: Water-resistant up to 50 metres. Hours, minutes, seconds and date. Chronograph functions include 60 seconds counter silver subdial, 30 minute counter silver subdial and 12 hour counter silver subdial. Tachymeter around outer rim.
- Power Source: 12 1/2" self-winding mechanical movement. Power reserve of approximately 42 hours. 37 jewels, 28,800 vibrations per hour.
- Diameter: 42.00mm.
CHOPARD SUPERFAST CHRONO
- Materials: Rose gold case. Glass is glareproofed sapphire crystal. Black rubber bracelet with gold golding buckle.
- Dial: Black dial with 3 counters: 12 hours, 30 minutes and 60 seconds. Arabic '12' numeral and mixed indexes. Stick hands. Tachymeter from 240 to 55 km/h on bezel. Date display at 6 o'clock position.
- Functions: Water-resistant up to 100 metres. Hours, minutes, small seconds, date, chronograph. Chronometer certified (COSC).
- Power Source: 12 1/2" self-winding mechanical movement. Power reserve of approximately 42 hours. 37 jewels.
- Diameter: 45.00mm.